Friday, March 22, 2013

Ecology Book Review

I read The Ecology Book, in exchange for review from New Leaf Publishing Group. The book was written by Tom Hennigan and Jennifer Lightner. The book was published by Master Books.

I liked how the book is divided into levels, based by grade and reading level.  Each level is denoted by a different, colored background. Level 1 is on a white background. Level 2 is on a green background. Level three is on a blue background. Level one grade level is 5th to 6th. Level two's grade level is 7th and 8th. Level three's grade level is 9th to 11th.

The book is also Christian-based.

Why I chose the book:

I chose the book because I am homeschooling my son. I can incorporate the book into his science curriculum. I also like how the book is Christian-based. I have reviewed another curriculum book from New Leaf and was pleased with the results. The book was simple to read and easy to use. I also liked how the book started off with discussing the trinity of God. It is a good thing to start off with God in anything we do. The book also has Christian-based quotes and bible verses throughout the book. Each section starts off with 5 questions: Who, What, Where, Why, and  How. Each section also has words to know--a few vocabulary words for the students to learn more about. I also then followed the Level 1 sections to learn and teach from. My son is special needs. I did read the other levels because I am on a higher reading level. I loved the book .  I also loved the graphics in the book. The graphics was bright and colorful. The pictures showed different plants and animals in various environments. 

Second, I liked how the book discussed ecology and the environment. From animal families to ecologists to keeping the planet clean. The book also discussed the relationships between predator and prey. Other topics included ecosystems, energy, the food chain, lichens, fungus, water conservation, bacteria, and microbes. 

Next, I loved the building memories section in Chapter 2. The section discussed hearing the darkness. I (and the kids) should listen for animals in the dark. Darkness does not mean death. You have owls, hooting; bats, flying, and other nocturnal animals, living, breathing, being connected to us. The animals have relationships. They eat, drink, sleep, and so do humans. 

Each section was short and to the point. The words were simple to comprehend. Each section also ties to God and his wonderful creations. 

The book is available for pre-order on Amazon for 16.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Thank you. Stacie