Saturday, February 9, 2013

Who is responsible for your kids?

I asked this question, after talking to my daddy.  Who is responsible for your kids? The answer is simple really, but some people make it more complicated.

A few years ago, 4 adults got into a car, with a baby. Open containers, drinking, etc. The car flipped. 4 adults, 1 baby, no car seat. None of these adults had enough sense to 1) bring the car seat along. 2) have enough sense to stay sober and stay at home.

Today, a few other relatives got into a car. 2 adults, 2 kids. Nothing wrong, but I realized about 10 minutes after they left, one brought a cup of straight liquor with her. She was not the driver. She may not drive at all, but there are two minors in the car. I am praying they get home safe. I asked my father, why didn't he stop them from taking the liquor? If I had realized it, I would have, but my mind was focused on something else (my kids). His response: the adults were grown. They can do what they want. He has no control over their actions, but the minor kids are his lineage, his genealogy line. His grand and great grand kids. He may not control other people, but he has enough sense to attempt control his grands and great grands. 

On the other hand, I can not blame my father. Let's talk about the grand daughter. She is old enough to not get into a car, where open containers and cups are present. and If she is already in the car, she should have enough sense to get her ass out. Not to mention, the great grand of my daddy's is her daughter. Your child, your responsibility to protect your children.

Plenty of times, kids get into stupid-ass situations and no one takes the blame. It's so and so fault. No one can force you to do something all the time. If all your actions are guided by some punk belly friends, then you need new friends :-). People do not want to take responsibility for their actions or their kids actions

Another example (and I am probably off-track here) is my daddy's former and current marriages. In every marriage, Willie Charles blames the women. He treats them right. He watches their kids. He gives them kids. He comes home. He does not mention his fault in any of the marriages. He does not mention the cheating, the extra kids, the drugs, the alcohol, the long periods of unemployment, and just his overall craziness. Then, again, he didn't force all 4 or 5 of his wives to say I do either.

Pastor Mike talked about parental responsibility weeks back. The parents are responsible for their kids well-being, health, socialization skills, educational skills, secular learning, etc etc etc. We are responsible for what they eat, what they say, what they do, who they hang out with, what medicines they can take, the doctors they go to, everything. (Of course, we need to counsel the Lord for guidance). The kids, I guess, can make decisions, but we, as parents, will discipline them for their stupidity, dumbness, ignorance, teenager-dom, etc.

The parents (or guardians) are responsible for the minor children. The blame can not be passed to someone else. I am responsible for Brad and Kalen. My gene pool, my lineage. They are my job for life, since they are special needs. Otherwise at 18, they are mostly responsible for themselves, with guidance from me and guidance primarily from God.


Anyway, everyone got home safe. God is Good.
Stacie D. Wyatt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Thank you. Stacie