Tuesday, December 4, 2012

One Big Thing


I review for BookSneeze®



I read One Big Thing, in exchange for review from BookSneeze.com. The book was written by Phil Cooke. The book was published by Thomas Nelson. The book discusses finding your purpose in life. The book was also written from a Christian perspective.

One thing, which stood out was this passage:

"How about you? Do you know yourself and your purpose well enough to be ready when your moment of destiny arrives".... "When a great challenge arrives, that’s no time to figure out your strengths, weaknesses, and purpose. By then it’s too late to find out what you’re made of. That’s why discovering your One Big Thing right now is the key to preparing you for whatever awaits in your future"


I struggle with knowing what my purpose is. I do not know what my purpose is for the kingdom, which is one of the reasons I chose this book. I love to write. I love to listen to people. I love to find free things online, especially Special Needs resources. But is this what God wants me to do? I am also in graduate school for psychology, but is that my purpose. Is that why I am so unmotivated right now? I have questions, but only God has the answers. The book discussed how plenty of people graduate from college, yet they are still unfulfilled in life. People still struggle for their purpose, while taking on degrees and jobs to pay bills and to live life. All this does is lead to frustration.

The book also gave tips on living a fulfilled life. Some tips included how finding fulfillment will not be easy. Next, we need to be open and honest with ourselves. We also need to dedicate time and commitment to our purpose. Commitment: my church discussed commitment on Sunday. Joel Osteen and Steve Harvey discussed commitment last nite on TBN. We also need focus and passion to fulfill our purpose. Following arbitrary passions only leads to more frustration. For example, I can't sing. I love music though. But loving music is not going to make me sing any better. Giving up writing (which I am good at) for singing is following a dumb, random passion.

I definitely recommend this book. I planned on reading 20 pages the first day, I got this book, but ended up reading more.


Last passage: Plenty of people want to change the world, but not enough want to change themselves
The Book is available on Thomas Nelson and Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Thank you. Stacie